Please dont go for the soundcard!!! the clocking of the digital data or
better said the sync between a soundcard and an external dac will
without question produce excessive jitter (unless you add an external
clock.)

"The Transporter's digital path is not only "bit perfect", but also
extremely accurate in timing precision. Clock signals in Transporter
are handled not as ones and zeroes, but as precision analog signals.
Specialized crystal oscillators, careful clock management, and
linear-regulated logic supplies ensure the lowest possible jitter
throughout the system". From transporter's website.

The technology in this machine goes much farther than a sound card/ dac
combination. Actually this is the biggest advantage of the Transporter
over all other available solutions and what makes the transporter sound
so musical and not so digital.

So I know Im biased, but here it goes again: Get the Pathos
And for the headphone issue.... well since I dont listen so much
through headphones in my house, i dont really mind. It all depends on
how much of your listening is done through headphones. But even if you
do that a lot, you still have a nice thing to go crazy about in the
future: a headphone amp....

--
GuyDebord

Reference 3A Royal Master monitors biwired with van den Hul Inspiration
cables, REL Strata 5 sub. AMP: Pathos Classic One MKIII. ANALOGUE:
Michell Gyro SE, Technoarm & Lyra Helikon SL cartridge, ASR Mini Basis
SQ phono preamp, link: WireWorld Silver Eclipse 5.2. DIGITAL: MacMini,
SlimDevices Transporter, link: van den Hul The Second XLR’s. POWER:
Isotek MiniSub GII, Isotek Elite cables (MiniSub, Rel) Siltech SPX30
MKII (Transporter) van den Hul Mainstream (Pathos) & van den Hul
Mainserver (ASR).