alekz;258605 Wrote:
> Have you heard the sample from the above mentioned disk?

Not yet - the disk is on order. However, perhaps I should clarify my
earlier post...OK here goes:

A speaker - like a microphone - is ultimately a very simple device in
its purest form. It is  a diaphragm that moves back and forth in a more
or less linear fashion.  There are only two key relevant variables - how
quickly it moves back/forth (frequency) and how far it moves
(amplitude). It has no concept of directionality - it cannot steer a
sound left/right or up/down - it merely projects sound forward
(usually) from its diaphragm in a broadly conical pattern.

(Note this doesn't not apply to special cases such as the Soundfield
Mics or that clever Yamaha directional speaker array in a box)

If one were to place a 2-d array of microphones or SPL transducers in
front of a pair of speakers playing the LEDR track, they will record
what is actually happening...in other words, as the sound "appears" to
us to transit in an arc, in fact it is merely panning left-right, since
that is all you can actually do! The mics will not be fooled.

The mics will not record a movement in height, because there is none.
Our brains are inferring the height element from the psycho-acoustic
info embedded in the sound.

The reason I want this track is to test what happens if you compress
it. Theory suggests that at a certain bitrate, the effect will collapse
due to lack of information. Also this could be used as a suitable
(albeit non-musical) test track for system end-to-end integrity since
the better/more easily a system can reproduce this trick, the better
its information preservation capabilities (stress: IN THEORY).

Just to restate my position - ignoring the trickery of things like
LEDR, it is not possible to accurately reproduce "depth" or "height"
(even if it were actually recordable in the first place!) from speakers
that are very few in number and fixed in position relative to our ears.

What we are hearing is what we want or expect to hear/were genetically
engineered to hear.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X with Good Vibrations S/W - MF X-DAC
V3/X-PSU/X-10 buffer (Audiocomm full mods)- Linn 5103 - Linn Aktiv 5.1
system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend
Supertweeters, Kimber & Chord cables