netim3;264157 Wrote:
> The Linn DS is based on UPnP, a totally open standard. It doesn't
> dictate what server software you use, what control device/remote you
> use, what NAS you use, what amp you use, or anything else for that
> matter.  You get the "full benefit" by pairing it with whatever you
> want to.

"The Transporter is based on slimproto, a totally open standard. It
doesn't dictate what server software you use, what control
device/remote you use, what NAS you use, what amp you use, or anything
else for that matter.  You get the "full benefit" by pairing it with
whatever you want to. "

Seriously - slimproto is open, you can use whatever slimproto
compatible server you want. Obviously, there's a clear choice there but
I can think of at least 2 other implementations which exist. Likewise,
the Linn will work with any upnp server, of which there are a limited
(but larger) number available. I can control my Transporter with my
remote (included!), SBC, iPhone, PDA (via Telcanto), Nokia 800, PSP,
Wii and every other web enabled device I own. As for NAS selection,
there may be a few more which can run upnp vs slimserver, but it's by
no means "any" NAS.

--
radish