roll - gybe;264764 Wrote:
> I know this has been discussed many times, but I am specifically
> interested in the reasons why using an external DAC with an SB3 might
> yield an advantage.

How about flatter frequency response?

Take a look at SB3's frequency response as measured by Stereophile:
http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/906slim/index3.html
(Figure 1). Note how the response gradually falls below 600 Hz.

Compare that to Stereophile's measurements of the popular Benchmark
DAC1: http://stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/108bench/index4.html
(Figure 1). The DAC1's response is noticeably flatter.

It seems like those response differences might be audible, and might
account for some of the improvements people have reported with external
DACs.

Ron

--
Ron Stewart

SB3 -> Lavry DA10 > Parasound Halo P3 -> NAD C272 -> Ellis Audio 1801f