I haven't tried a comparison with the SB3 display off.  Currently, the
SBR is installed in another location, so an immediate comparison isn't
feasible (I will have to move heavy furniture in both locations to
redeploy the SBR).

I do want to do further listening tests (blind this time).  But I will
probably wait until SC7 is official and I'm using it on my main server.
My initial tests were not blind, and the 2 players were using different
versions of Slimserver (6.5.4 vs 7.0b), different network connections
(wired vs wireless), and different digital connections to the DAC (coax
vs optical) - not that any of those should matter, but a truly
scientific test would seek to eliminate all possible differences in the
test conditions.

On the other hand, it might not matter, since I'd be using a
multichannel receiver with surround processing, which is far from an
ideal test platform.  2-channel playback is out of the question on my
system due to the severe limitations of the room, the wiring of the
subs, and the omnidirectional speakers.  I do think I am familiar
enough with my system and room to hear differences, but I'm anxious to
read what others with truly high-end 2-ch systems think and hear about
the possible differences in sound quality between the 2 models.  That
will carry more weight in these forums than my initial impressions
under less-than-ideal conditions.

--
Pale Blue Ego