Ok, this is voodoo....
Turned on my TP, and tried playing a different 24/88.2 wav track (Eric
Clapton, Reptile) and got no sound.  My data rate converter couldn't
achieve a pll lock on the clock.

After messing around with a few things, I got sound on 44.1 flac's, and
96 wav's, and now 88.2 is back again as well.  It appears that there may
be some combination of previously played file formats that messes up
88.2.  I need to spend a bit of time here to try and find a combination
that triggers this behaviour.  If/when I do, I'll post it here, and file
a bug report.

Sean: You mentioned you've only tested 88.2 flac's.  Was this in
reference to RGibrans desire for .wma files?  Have you also tested
.wav's?

FYI, my hi res wav's are ripped from DVD's and DVD-Audio discs that I
own.  Both the TP and SqueezeCenter properly indicate the sample rate
and bit depth of these files.  Currently all my hi res files are stored
as .wav's.  My CD sourced material is stored as flac.

Stay tuned!  More as it happens!     Dave

--
DCtoDaylight