darrenyeats;273807 Wrote:
> Can you clarify how big the room is etc? That bit of your post appears
> to be missing a word. :-) What kind of acoustics do you have in there?
> Clap your hands in the middle of the room - do you hear lots of echos?
> An overly reflective room can confuse or muddy the sound (hence your
> desire for more 'separation'?). What I like is a "normal, average"
> reflective room without unusual echos or ringing from a clap.
>
> Another point is, if you want floorstanders you need room to put them
> in space and to avoid excessive bass frequencies.
> Darren

The room is 11'10" by 12' (361cm by 366cm). One of the shorter walls
has an additional 7'7" wide 2'3" deep bay window (231 by 68). The other
shorter wall houses the speakers. They are 5'5" (165) apart, with a 4'5"
(135) wide wooden sideboard inbetween. The room also has a 5'3" by 2'11"
(160 by 99) wooden dining table with 5 small wooden chairs. There are
two cane (conservatory style) chairs where the bay window is. The
ceiling is high (I am six foot and have to stnad slightly on tiptoe to
touch it).

I know its not your textbook setup, but it is a dining room, and I do
share my house with my wife, so the furniture does have to stay....
Mind you, I don't notice any echo when I clap.

The comment about floorstanders is interesting though, as there is not
a great deal of space between my speakers and the sideboard.

--
PLynas