Nikhil;277800 Wrote:
> Article from Stereophile about the age old argument, with lots of graphs
> included.
>
> http://www.stereophile.com/features/308mp3cd/

While the graphs are kind of interesting, they'd be much more so if
he'd actually explain a bit more about -why- they look like that.  It's
not like it's a mystery.

Then there are posturings like this:

John Atkinson Wrote:
> Given the bigger bit budget at 320kbps, the AAC codec produces a result
> that may well be indistinguishable from CD for some listeners some of
> the time with some music.

So he's claiming that by looking at a graph of this particular
test-tone he can tell whether or not these effects are audible on
music.  And yet he didn't bother to do a listening test - in the time
it took him to prepare that article, he could have performed a whole
series.  -That- would have been interesting, because what most people
really want to know is which format to use and at what level of
compression.  This kind of vague cursory analysis and unsubstantiated
statements isn't useful.

Frankly, I very much doubt he would have been able to hear the
differences between 320 MP3 or AAC and CD (at least not without lots of
practice and choosing the test track very carefully), and after all the
whining Stereophile has been doing recently that wouldn't look very
good.

--
opaqueice