opaqueice;277809 Wrote:
> While the graphs are kind of interesting, they'd be much more so if he'd
> actually explain a bit more about -why- they look like that.  It's not
> like it's a mystery.

Indeed

> Frankly, I very much doubt he would have been able to hear the
> differences between 320 MP3 or AAC and CD (at least not without lots of
> practice and choosing the test track very carefully),

That's something I have been wanting to ask for a while. Just to be on
the safe side (future proof and archival value), and since storage is
becoming cheaper by the day, I have been using FLAC for quite a few
years now. I can certainly spot the limitations of 128 kbps mp3s and
very early in this game, I was very unhappy even with 256kbps encoded
mp3s. But in the several years since I bothered to test, the encoding
has obviously got a lot better. Are there any particular tracks that
can showcase the limitations of todays best mp3 encodings (ie, 320 kbps
or high VBR mp3s?)

--
Nikhil