Rodney_Gold;279387 Wrote:
> With cheaper storage and greater bandwidth is there any advantage to
> compressing files at all these days?
Interesting point.

One of the major motivations for moving from lossy is...there is a
convenient, widely accepted, tagging-friendly lossless alternative
welcoming them with open arms which has a quantifiable advantage
("doesn't lose stuff").

I don't see WAV as an equally great temptation for lossless users.
Tagging isn't so straightforward in WAV as I understand it, which
doesn't help. Lossless and WAV both don't lose stuff. Is the processing
a big enough difference? All codecs need to be decoded which is why
decompression is unnoticeable - it's just included in the processing at
play time. FLAC encoding is much quicker on my cheap Celeron than
ripping at 16x so I don't notice it at rip time either.

Given that CPUs are getting better just as fast, won't the processing
be as moot as storage? Just as the reason for using FLAC now is "why
not", the reason for staying with it might become..."why not"?

Having said that, who knows. :)
Darren

--
darrenyeats

SB3 / Inguz -> Krell KAV-300i (pre bypass) -> PMC AB-1
Dell laptop -> JVC UX-C30 mini system