Patrick Dixon;288599 Wrote:
> Hmm, I think the onus is on you to prove that it's not.

That was done in 1927 and possibly earlier when the thresholds of human
hearing were established.  It's been studied many times since then as
well (there's a reference from 2004 here):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_threshold

The results are that the minimum audible RMS pressure is about 2E-5
pascal (for this reason that level is usually taken to be 0dB when
discussing SPL).  That's for a listener in an absolutely silent
environment listening to a tone.  Of course what we're discussing here
- a change in level of a pre-existing loud sound - is much, much harder
to hear, and the thresholds are far higher.  But I'll be extremely
generous to your position and use this number.

A sound 144dB above 2E-5 pascal is well above the limit of short-term
hearing damage, and according to wiki is louder than a rifle being
fired 1m from your ear:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_pressure_level#Examples_of_sound_pressure_and_sound_pressure_levels

No home stereo I know of is capable of playing a sound that loud.
Therefore signals at -144dB will never be audible from 1m away even at
max volume, and I doubt they are audible even with your ear over the
tweeter.

Let's prove this a different way, using physics.  The air pressure
variation caused by the Brownian motion of air molecules are at around
-23dB relative 2E-5 pascal (and it's a good thing we can't hear that
well, or we'd be constantly hearing white noise).

Now suppose we have an audio system adjusted so that full-scale music
is at very high volume - say 100dB SPL.  A signal at -144 dB is then
-44dB below 2E-5 pascal.  But Brownian motion effects are at about
-25dB - so the effects on a speaker cone from a signal component at
-144dB, even with volume cranked, are MUCH smaller than the random
motions of the cone induced by collisions with individual air
molecules.

If you can hear that, you're magic.  You should quite your job
immediately and apply to James Randi for his $1,000,000 challenge.

--
opaqueice