I'd recommend that you get the amp/speakers you want and hook up the TP
directly to the amp and give it a listen.  If you don't like what you
hear, then add a pre-amp.  I wouldn't budget for one right out of the
box.

Having said that, I ended up using one because I like the way it
sounds.  I'm using an SB3+Dac and adding a preamp brought the lower
frequencies to life.  I also like the tube sound in my preamp.  You may
not experience any of this with your equipment combo, so I think it
makes sense to give it a listen and go from there.

-Ben

--
Ben Diss

'SB3' (http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html) -> 'Lavry DA10'