All you vinyl heads are dead wrong.  Your new-fangled gizmos such as
vinyl LP records, magnetic cartridges, diamond styli, electric motors,
etc. are compromises of the infinitely superior shellac recording
technology that preceded them.  And those are compromises of the one,
true, high-fidelity medium ever produced for mass consumption.

The ultimate technology of which I speak was developed by none other
than Thomas Edison.  My 100+ year old Edison Standard model B cylinder
record player beats the pants off all the compromise technologies that
followed.  Analog recording from start to finish, with NO electronics
to get in the way and muck up the sound.  Combine those attributes with
the constant radius, constant linear velocity of the disc playback, the
medium- stearate wax, and the spherical sapphire pick-up and you have
the best 2 minutes of recorded audio you have probably never heard.
And we all know from experience that 2 minutes is the optimum match to
the human attention span.  Not too short to rouse one's interest
without bedding it back down, and not too long that one will fall
asleep part way through the performance.

40-50 minutes on a single LP/CD?  Ridiculous!  Variable velocity/radius
on a disc medium?  Nonsense!  Electronics between the
instruments/singers and the recording medium?  Poppycock!  Electronics
in the playback chain?  Foolishness!  All compromises on the best
system ever developed.  I should also point out that the Edison
cylinder system is as green as can be.  A wind up motor and no
electricity.  Zero carbon footprint!

TD

--
tyler_durden