Robin Bowes;296009 Wrote:

> Assuming the SB+DAC / Klimax DS / Transporter are all fairly similar in
>
> performance, i.e. the differences are minimal, then a 10-minute test
> would be largely pointless.
>
> Extended listening is the only relevant way to evaluate these things.

I agree it's possible that some difference might be hard to discern in
a short listening test.  Rather unlikely - it goes against all the
research I know of, which indicates differences are much easier to hear
with quick switches - but logically possible.

Ten minutes was a bit of an exaggeration.  You'd probably want to
listen to a fair number of tracks, so lets say the short-term test is
an hour.

Here are four scenarios for the outcome of such a test:

1)  Phil doesn't hear any difference during an hour-long sighted
listening test in his home.

2) Phil thinks he hears a difference sighted.  He tries a blind test,
and fails to successfully identify the source more than about half the
time (i.e. consistent with guessing).

3) Phil thinks he hears a difference sighted and prefers the Linn.  To
his surprise, he can hear a difference blind, but he consistently
prefers the SB+DAC (this happened with another poster here when
comparing the SB to some more expensive source).

4) Phil prefers the Linn both sighted and blind in the short-term test.

What do you think he should he do in these cases?  Do all of them
warrant a longer-term listening test, or only some?

--
opaqueice