And neither am I influenced by hype!  :-)

In fact I've just sold all my Naim gear. I just can't be fussed with
all the wires, black boxes and the continual temptation to spend even
more money. I've not found any network player or network player/Dac
combination that comes close to a Naim CDX and have just given up
trying (at least for a few years).

IMHO if you can't find a decent source then there's no point in
spending huge amount of money and time on the rest of the gear (you
can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear).

I've now got a simple no-hassle system that sounds acceptable. I'm
going to concentrate on fishing and bringing up my kid now.  :-)

It's a shame the Linn network player seems so flawed too (has anyone
seen the interface, even the Linn demonstrator had trouble with it!).

Hopefully by the time my son leaves home there'll be something that
sounds as good as vinyl again (minus scratches, rumbles etc). I guess
one of the best things about network players might be that the redbook
standard is dumped.

As someone here once said (maybe the original poster?): "I've already
made a sacrifice in sound quality going from CD from vinyl. I don't
want to take another going to a network player". As things stand I
still think you have to, but maybe the Linn and Naim offerings will
rectify this.... but I won't be buying them until they are much less
expensive and much better designed.

Maybe I've just been spoilt by the CDX.

MC

--