lork;300871 Wrote:
> Normal USB-DACs don't- they run "asynchronously", with a PLL to keep the
> output bitrate at a speed that matches the incoming packet rate, so that
> the buffer never over- or under-runs. This results in timing jitter, as
> the PLL servos the output frequency back & forth to accommodate the
> not-very-precisely-timed computer packets.
I'm afraid you have this backwards.  The whole idea of an asynchronous
interface is that there is NO connection between the incoming data
rate, and the outgoing.   An asynchronous interface does not require a
PLL, and if properly implemented, will not transmit jitter from the
incoming stream to the outgoing.

A SPDIF connection is synchronous, and requires a PLL to extract the
clock from the data stream.  This type of interface has the potential
for noise and jitter in the incoming data stream to affect the PLL's
output jitter.

lork;300871 Wrote:
> It would appear that the Slim system could get around this, since they
> have their own hardware & software. Hence there would be no real need
> for re-clocking equipment between the Slim device and your DAC, since
> the real culprit in timing jitter is that asynchronous feed & PLL
> follower, not the inherent jitter on the oscillator (which is usually
> extremely low).
The Slim system is totally asynchronous.  The data arrives in packets
over the ethernet, and is loaded into a memory buffer, and then clocked
out by the main system clock (which is not a pll). When the buffer gets
low, the hardware requests a new packet and thus ensures it never runs
out.  As such, the total jitter is the sum of the Crystal controlled
clock, and the associated clock distribution (pcb traces, glue logic
etc), which can be tightly controlled.

While this holds true for the slims internal DAC, as soon as you go
outboard, via the SPDIF interface, your external DAC must use it's
clock recovery circuit and PLL to re-generate the clock.  So the
potential for increased jitter exists once again.

Is a re-clocker required with an SB3?  I'd say no, it's inherent jitter
is very low, so unless your external DAC has a poorly designed clock
recovery circuit, it shouldn't be necessary.  The jitter from a
transporter is even lower, but it's DAC is very good, so there's little
reason to go outboard.

Cheers,   Dave

--
DCtoDaylight