The FLAC file played through the SB3 SHOULD sound the same as the CD
transport.
And I think anyone would find it difficult to tell the difference
between the FLAC and a 320kb/sec MP3 - they should sound close to the
same.

The only problem seems to be why does the CD transport sound
significantly better than the FLAC file played through the SB3, when
they are both using the same DAC?  Are you using fixed level output or
using the volume control on the SB3 for the digital coaxial output?  I
use the coax output also and I use the volume control set to 91.  To
me, the FLAC through the SB3 and from my CD transport (a Sony NS500V)
sound the same.

--
kh6idf