Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what the weak spot is in my
system.  Right now I'm ripping my CDs in FLAC through EAC.  I'm using
CDex to rip the CDs into MP3s at 320 as well.  From what I hear, I
can't honestly find the difference between the two even though FLAC is
supposed to be significantly better.

Secondly, my Squeezebox 3 is hooked via coax to a Micromega DAC 1.
Sound of the FLAC rips are pretty good but not nearly as good as my
Micromega Drive 1 through the same DAC.  The CD transport is connected
through AES/EBU using a Nordost cable.  The SB3 is using a relatively
cheap Monster cable from the SB3 although I'm not sure if that would
make such a big difference.  In looking at audio equipment there are
tons of choices, not just for quality but for the type of sound.  Is it
possible that while the ripped CDs could technically be better, it just
can't capture the "character" of the CD transport/DAC combo?

--
silverarrows