I am -not- trying to start a flame war here.

Just wondering if anyone here has done an A/B (back to back, not days
apart) of a Modwright tubed Transporter versus a stock unit running
into a tube preamp. If so, I'm interested in impressions / the
differences you heard. It has been suggested that the respective setups
should be roughly equivalent (barring differences in the tubes/amps
themselves. I could also imagine that there may be a difference if one
were to accept that the output stage itself were problematic (not here
to argue that one either!).

I'd love to run that test myself, but finding someone in the area with
a transporter, let alone a modwright verion seems laughably improbable
(I'm in Kitchener which is ~60 mi west of Toronto).

Lend me your ears! Or even better I'd love to check out someones setup
if you're nearish.

--
ianr