Eric Seaberg wrote:
> Gothca there, Pat.  I had a 2" Studer A800 24-track and consistently
> measured its response at ±2dB 42Hz-23kHz. It would be about -6dB @
> 25kHz.

OK, so I was off a bit on the high end. Did you measure the fall off
over 25kHz? I assume it kept falling off at 6 or maybe 12 dB/octave

> The reason for the weird low-end @ 42Hz was due to the AES
> curve for 30-inches-per-second tape speed. Vinyl wasn't real keen on a
> lot of activity below 50Hz, so the AES (Audio Engineering Society)
> decided to roll it off slowly below that.

You had to, or the needle would literally jump out of the groove.

And the mastering folks would EQ it again at least per the RIAA specs.
Often they'd do more.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/