pfarrell;314887 Wrote:
> Pale Blue Ego wrote:
> >   Isn't the
> > current SB3/SBR limitation only due to CPU or buffer memory limits?
>
> perhaps both, Sean said CPU cycles aren't there. faster/wider takes
> more
> memory and cpu even if the DAC can handle it. Given the tremendous
> pressure on keeping prices down, its not at all clear to me that there
> is any justification. It adds cost which raise selling price, and
> there
> is no mass market source to use it, so its impossible to argue that
> the
> additional costs will make the unit sell better.
>
> In the Transporter, they have a different market, but the Receiver and
> SB are mass market products. Price is king.
>
> --
> Pat Farrell
> http://www.pfarrell.com/

This is all true, but we're talking about computer components here, and
therefore it makes sense that future generations of SB will get a faster
CPU and bigger buffer whether it wants them or not.

It's like, even if you could still buy a 1 GB hard drive, it would
probably be the same price as an 80 GB drive.

--
Pale Blue Ego