After going through a similar mental exercise I ended up keeping my
library in AIFF.  The down side of Apple Lossless is that you can't
fast forward/rewind it, nor can you with any of the other transcoded
formats.  AIFF on the other hand is supported natively, so you can
FFWD/REW (at least as well as FFWD/REW works at all on a Squeezebox,
which in my experience is only so-so).

I'd be happy if either Apple decided to support FLAC, or someone fixed
Slimserver to allows FFWD/REW on transcoded formats (which would appear
to be as simple as transcoding to a temp file instead of a pipe, but
maybe there's some reason not to do that which isn't obvious to me).
Until then, well, disk is cheap.

--
jgs