Robin Bowes;316770 Wrote:
> Themis wrote:[color=blue]
>
> That's not what people are saying.
>
> We're saying that the difference between the SB3 DAC and a $400-$500
> DAC
> is likely not all that significant, and that a better use of funds
> might
> be to look at other areas of the system.
>
> R.

But a $200 DAC and try it - the difference IS significant.  It may not
be as much as with a $1000 DAC but then again it might be that the
designer of the cheaper DAC is focusing more on performance and audio
quality than marketing and design...it's perfectly feasible, is it not,
that a good audio engineer could design and build a DAC for that short
of price, still make a profit, and outperform the SB3 DAC (which is
indeed not at all bad, but hardly the holy grail).

Maybe it's just that other DACs sound different, but for me the
differences in this case (Beresford) mean better - it's much more open
sounding, much lower noise floor, everything seems just separate and
less, I'm sorry to say it, digital.

It's just silly (and snobby) to rule out these things based soley on
price...which is exactly what a lot of people have argued about the Sb
versus the Sonos, for example....

--
bossanova808