david_a_woodward;316973 Wrote:
> Hi there, I hope someone can help, I’ve read a fair few posts, but as is
> often the way can’t find the info I am looking for.
>
> I am new to ripping, I have a collection of about 500 CDs and I am on
> the brink of lashing out some hard earned cash on SB3/Duet/Transporter
> (3 rooms) and TranquilPC T2-WHS-A3i (unless anyone recommends a better
> alternative), so should not have space constraints?
>
> I have always been a keen audiophile with a Michell GyroDec,
> CD2/82/250/SBL Naim system, this is where I plan to add the
> Transporter, (can I share the Duet remote with the Transporter, SB3 and
> Duet systems?)
>
> I am looking for the best quality I can achieve, but I do not want to
> spend too long discovering (and learning) the best suite of ‘amazing’
> software programs that appear to be available to use, nor labouring
> over very slow rip/tagging.
>
> I do want to view cover art on the duet controller and would like to
> easily move some/all(?) of the ripped CDs to a, yet to purchased, ipod.
>

> So what is my dilemma? I gather, but may have got the wrong end of the
> stick, the two obvious choices are to use iTunes, seems to be viewed as
> the easiest and simplest workflow in ripping, tagging, cover art etc in
> ALAC loseless format, or go down the, what appears to be, much more
> daunting sounding, EAC/FLAC/various other tools for cover art
> extraction etc route.
>
> I am not too concerned about being locked into Apple’s proprietary
> approach provided it works well with SB technology, and makes my life
> easier to transfer my CD library.
>
> I am keen to know the pro’s and cons of each approach, so I can make a
> better informed decision. Thank you all in advance for you valued
> comments.

The simple thing to do is use dBpowerAmp to Rip and tag your files in
FLAC format. FLAC converts to almost anything else you might ever need
and allows you to stay far away from iTunes.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
'Last.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/mephone)
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono Blocks,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Bedroom: SB3, NAD C370, Thiel 2.3
Home Office: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, VSM-1 Sigs
Mobile: SB3, Audioengine A5