Willie B;319132 Wrote:
> Hi - I have been using a squeezebox for a few months with a wifi
> connection to my home computer.  I am now thinking of going down the
> dedicated server route.  We are about to install wood floors in lounge
> and hall so I have the opportunity to stick a server in the understairs
> cupboard and run a cable under the new floor straight to the hifi area.
>
> My questions are:
>
> Would a hard wire connection be better than wifi (or at least give me a
> second option when the wifi is down)?
>
> If I do this what is the best value cable (optimum sound quality for
> reasonable price) and any suggestions for suppliers?
>
> I would be looking at about 8 metres of cabling - would this affect
> sound quality?
>
> Sorry for all these questions but I love music and am not very
> technical.  Will be off line for a few hours now but will log in later
> on.#
>
> Best wishes
>
> Willie B

Wireless vs wired makes NO difference to sound quality. Wireless either
works or it doesn't

Type of ethernet cable makes NO difference to sound quality

Wired is more reliable than wireless and performs better (nothing to do
with sound quality) as a computer networking method.

If you have the choice, go wired. IMHO wireless should ONLY be used
where it is the only practical option...

However if you are streaming mp3 or using internet radio then wireless
can usually be made to work OK provided you have a decent WAP/Router
and you are not too far away from it.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X with Good Vibrations S/W - MF X-DAC
V3/X-PSU/X-10 buffer (Audiocomm full mods)- Linn 5103 - Linn Aktiv 5.1
system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend
Supertweeters, Kimber & Chord cables