Gazjam;324303 Wrote:
> I know the TP can play 24/96 files that the SB3 cant.
>
> But...playing regular FLACs ripped from Redbook CD, is there such a
> great difference?

Your question can be distilled to a two-parter:
Q: Is there a difference using a DAC other than the SB's [for FLAC from
CDs]; and what is that difference?

A: First part: Yes, there is a difference. And this being the
audiophile forum and not a pro one (or gear/geek/engineer one), the
answer to the second part is that that difference cannot be quantified.
Or qualified. Regardless of the format (be it 24 bit Wav or 96k mp3),
your DAC is as fundamentally important as your loudspeakers,
interconnects, amps and power. Welcome to analog. Putting together a
system can be as easy or demanding as you want it to be and is entirely
subjective.

If you are dissatisfied with what you're hearing and you've got the
digital (easy) stuff straight identify the "problem" and find out how
to fix it. Maybe you need a different DAC to achieve what you want to
hear. Maybe you need a dedicated circuit (a couple hundred, tops). Or
maybe your loudspeakers need spikes (cheap!) or just repositioning
(free!!).

Enjoy.

--
artbase