joeriz;336153 Wrote:
> Just another data point here regarding the volume control on the
> Transporter (or the SB3 for that matter) as there has been much
> churning here on the forums about dropping bits, etc:  I run my
> Transporter directly into my power amp which has no volume control.
> Thus, I must use the Transporter's volume control.  I have never heard
> a difference nor have I been bothered in the least by the sound quality
> when playing the Transporter with the volume set at any level...even
> towards the bottom of its range (i.e. close to maximum attenuation).
> Just my experience...YMMV.
>
> Joe
FTR there is more to it than dropping bits. Most importantly you could
be risking your hearing/speakers if there is no analog attenuation
between the Transporter and the amp, depending on the amp's
sensitivity. Most amps will need to be regulated by some form of
attenuation OTHER than digital, just in case there is a software
glitch. The Transporter does provide jumpers for analog attenuation,
but that makes your comparison to the SB3 volume control inaccurate.

There are also very measurable effects of using digital volume control,
and they are proportional to the amount of attenuation from 99/100 down
to 1/100. There is no middle point in there where it starts to degrade,
rather it's a linear degradation. This link* shows it perfectly. Graphs
like that in Stereophile might help explain why one device costs so
much more than the other, and God knows there are plenty of tweaks out
there that people pay a lot for without making improvements like
those.

Could it be...Satan? <g>

*
http://mysite.verizon.net/forumwebspace/RightMark/Test%20Reports/Volume.htm