JJZolx;345258 Wrote:
> Some people will claim that the RFI using wireless can be detrimental to
> the sound.
>
> http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/digital/messages/14/140731.html
>
> A PC creates a nightmare of RFI. I would never connect one directly to
> my audio system. Instead, I would look for devices that isolate the PC
> from the audio system. For example, the Ethernet DACs (eg, Squeezebox,
> Linn DS) will provide isolation *provided that they are connected via
> an Ethernet cable*. A wireless (Wi-Fi) connection just introduces more
> RFI. But a wired Ethernet connection has an isolation transformer that
> helps keep the RFI out of your system.

Okay, I read a lot of bull in this thread but I just can't let this
pass without jumping into the boat ;-)

RFI means it's nasty stuff at radio frequencies. Now please someone
explain me how a transformer can block that. The unshielded ethernet
cable will actually introduce -more- RFI into the SB compared to using
a wifi-link. Maybe they mean that by not using wifi this wifi-signal
doesn't get into the box? Well, maybe if you throw your wifi-router in
the trash plus those of all your neighbours etc. because as long as the
SB isn't in a Faraday cage that stuff will all get in there so better
put it to use.

Can I come out of the boat now? ;-)
Nick.

--