pablolie;351985 Wrote:
> Are you measuring the right interface given the fact that what you are
> trying to explain is the different sound to your ears? Are you really,
> *REALLY* sure that that is nthe only interface that has possibly
> changed? Are there no other possible interactions between equipment in
> the change? Noise from power supplies or power reference points? No
> other changes made to the system?
>
> I have read your posts for over 2 years now, and have the utmost
> respect for your opinions. So I'd rather trust what *you* hear rather
> than what you osc tells you... :-)

Pablolie - thank you for you kind words.

I'm torn between what I hear and what I see. Waht I hear sounds eally
good (although I'm sure it can be improved). What I see when I play a
squarewave through the sb into a dac looks pretty good. But when I pass
the same squarewave through the TACT it is clearly distorted.

I am investigating PSU noise and earthing issues and also the various
interconnections in my system. The only change I have amde to my system
so far is to replace the SMPS in the TACT with a linear supply. This
seems to have made a nice improvement to my ears. The change is not
visible on the scope apart from the fact that the 5V into the TACT is
now visibly cleaner than from the old SMPS. From the TACT forum I have
no answer to my squarewav question yet - but lots of advice on
upgrading the SB and TACT in various ways. I am looking into all of
these options but it will take a long time.

I also want to try and clock-link my system to my DAC (which has a very
high quality Audicom clock in it) - which involves fitting clock
ins/outs to everything which will be expensive! This may have to
wait...
In the meantime I am concentrating on low-cost improvements (my linear
suppy was £6 from eBay - original retail was £85) such as cabling.

I always use my easrs to test changes - the scope is just for fun and
repairing things that are broken really. Actually I wish I hadn't
stumbled across that square wave...

Maybe someone else with a TACT and a scope can reproduce my results on
day.
Kind Regards
Phil

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods)- Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters,
Kimber & Chord cables
Outdoors: Boombox+Creative Sub (If I remember to turn it on...)