This thread is a continuation of off-topic posts that started with post
#96 on this page:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=53345&page=10

It's about the research done in Japan that was published in 2000 of
which you can find a copy here:
http://jn.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/83/6/3548
Better PDF copies that include more tables with data can be found on
the web.

So, here we pick it up:

opaqueice;352224 Wrote:
> You regard an internet search for copyright-constrained ABX samples as
> evidence that "most" ABX testing uses short samples, and from there
> conclude that the ABX protocol is invalid?  Don't be silly.

Okay, I'll drop that because I seem incapable of explaining the
difference between the ABX protocol (okay) and the wide-spread
implementation (not okay) of it. It's not the core-issue here.

> Of -course- it's not!  Those are two tests out of thousands - and you're
> trying to conclude something about MOST abx tests?

The first of these two studies (Muraoka et al. 1978) is more important
in our current context than all the others because the current Redbook
specification is a result of it. Also, this study used the CCIR
recommendation of 15-20 second samples and 0.5 second interval between
samples. Also, the test subjects did a subjective listening test and
noted their findings in a questionnaire; all input for the conclusions
was taken from these questionnaires and the subjects did not have their
brains scanned. When I say that it was flawed, it's because it turned
out that by using that procedure, it is not possible to find any
evidence for perception of > 20 kHz harmonics by human listeners. They
checked that by repeating it with the same music-samples and
sound-equipment ("presentation system")used for their new method and
the results were in agreement with these of Muraoka et al. (1978).

> PART of their results agree (the part that show that the HFS alone are
> inaudible), and PART disagree.

No, that "disagreed part" you mention was never tested before. The
subjects still can't hear the HFS part even when it's played together
with the LFS part... but --their brains react to it--. The scope of
previous tests never included that possibility and thus did not monitor
the brains of the subjects. When working from two different scopes like
that, you can't say that there is disagreement as the first test didn't
include this part. You can say that the first test missed it.

> I'll try one more time.  Everyone seems to agree that HFS alone are
> inaudible based on PET brain scans etc.

Ack.

> But these guys find that HFS+LFS is different from just LFS.  So there
> is something very bizarre and non-linear going on if they are right.

Nack. Why is this bizarre? The HFS component is what is in the original
sound as from the instruments: high freq. harmonics. When you move the
20 kHz line down to lets say 12 kHz and take a recording of an acoustic
instrument without it's harmonics above the 12 kHz "everyone" hears the
difference between HFS+LFS vs just LFS. When you play just the HFS, it
might even be totally un-recognizable as the instrument. In other
words: high harmonics add to the fundamental+low harmonics but are
utterly senseless on their own. That's why a very expensive violin
sounds better than a plastic toy.

The next step up is to make the LFS < 20 kHz and the HFS > 20 kHz and
the interesting thing is that humans can't hear the HFS anymore... but
their brains register the presence of it anyway! If you call that
bizarre it is because you can't let go of the notion that only your
ears feed your brain with information when listening to music. Other
research like mentioned in other threads has already showed that this
is not the case, like even memories of hearing this song or smell or
seeing how someone else reacts to the music are all factors for what
happens in your brain while listening and thus change the listening
experience. These are established facts. Also, very low freq's you will
have a hard time of hearing them but you feel them and that changes your
listening experience too. So, somehow, no-one knows yet exactly how,
very high harmonics are sensed by humans as demonstrated in this study.
If you can only accept that after they prove exactly --how-- that is
done, that's fine with me, but we all sense it while you're waiting for
that proof. (I know, I do it again but I just can't help myself, sorry
;-)

> My point was that we have no way of knowing whether that bizarre
> non-linear thing is in their equipment or in people's heads.

That is a question that must be answered for all research done. The
established method is by using multiple and totally different methods
of measuring. The primary method they used here was the EEG scan, in
the alpha range. These are electrodes that measure brain-patterns in
the couple Hz range, like 6 Hz or so. But you are right, the EEG
scanner or electrodes could have interference by the high frequency
sounds in the room. It is very unlikely because the sensors can't
pickup those freq's and while measuring with just the HFS, it didn't
show anything. They could even make a measurement without placing the
electrodes on the subjects head to prove accurate EEG recordings... but
they did something better: a second and totally different measurement of
blood-flow in their brains using a PET scanner. This equipment detects
radio-active radiation from the brain after injecting the subject with
a radio-active solution. There is no way that playing music can
interfere with this as there is no radio-activity present in the
sound-waves, let alone that it is interfered in exactly the same way as
it could do with the EEG method. Both methods alone are very unlikely to
have interference from playing music but when both measurements show the
strong correlation that they did in this case, you eliminate the chance
of flawed measurements completely. This is standard and accepted
practice.

> To summarize:  we know that neither brains nor gear respond to HFS
> alone, but that brains+gear respond to HFS+LFS differently than to LFS
> alone.  But we don't - and can't - know whether that difference is due
> to brains or due to gear.  The fact that gear doesn't respond to HFS
> alone is irrelevant, because neither do brains!

Would you be happy when they add a third method, like MRI scan? When do
you start believing measuring instruments? The scientific community
believes measurements when they can be duplicated using a completely
different method of measuring and that is good enough for me and most
people. It is why they use EEG in hospitals and work with it's results.
They only add a PET or MRI scan when they think the results are outside
their expectations but use just 1 method otherwise. Also, note that the
study was done by many medical professionals, not just a bunch of audio
technicians. They know how to use EEG and PET equipment and have done
it many times before on patients etc.

cheers,
Nick.

--