cliveb;357782 Wrote:
> Now you've got me feeling guilty. (Watch out, saying I "made" you buy it
> might be considered an ad hominem attack and get you banned :-)
>

> Give it some time before coming to any firm conclusions. It's one of
> those albums whose real qualities only reveal themselves after several
> plays. I now consider it head-and-shoulders above eveything else Kayak
> have done. Most of their other stuff is much lighter and poppier.
>
> If you grow to love Nostradamus, the next closest one is probably
> "Merlin - Bard of the Unseen". This was an expanded remake of their
> earlier album "Merlin" (also not bad). For some weird reason I have a
> fondness for another later period album "Night Vision", although I
> believe most Kayak fans think it's average.
>
> Someone else suggested "Phantom of the Night", but I'd say that was
> fairly mainstream. As a prog-head I think their early albums ("See See
> the Sun" and "Kayak") are the most experimental.

:o) - hence the ironic quotation marks!

I'll listen to the whole thing today whilst decorating the kitchen. My
initial reaction is positive... I love the voice on the spoken parts
and the slightly out of place lead guitar noodling. The backing vocals
are good too. The production veers between very good and "congested"
when things get very busy. As you imply, this may be a "grower"...

Thanks for the tip - I never would have bought this otherwise.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods)- Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters,
Kimber & Chord cables
Outdoors: Boombox+Creative Sub (If I remember to turn it on...)