The speakers in my office system (SB3->Swan M200s) gave up the ghost
recently, so I'm looking for replacements.  I'm pretty tempted by some
Quad 11L or 12L actives, which I can get used but in very good
condition for ~$500 for the 11s or $600 for the 12s.  Has anyone heard
them?

Another option is a pair of audioengine a5's which I could get for a
lot less, or any of various pro studio monitors (KRK, Mackie, etc.).

My budget is capped at $500-600 max, although I certainly wouldn't mind
paying less.  I won't be able to turn them up much, so good low-volume
performance is paramount.

Any suggestions?

--
opaqueice