andyg;371666 Wrote:
> Absolutely, if you can play AC3 or DTS files then nothing has changed.

Real-world example: I recently had to buy a new computer and sprung for
one with on-board S/PDIF jacks, assuming that would allow me to break up
some single-track DTS albums into proper tracks.

I connected everything up to the receiver and got what I thought was
perfectly good sound from normal stereo sources.  So I played a DTS
track and got...white noise.  No matter what I did...white noise.

After Googling around, I finally installed ASIO drivers and spent a
bunch of time configuring everything.  Seems like it took me half the
day, but I finally got DTS working properly by jumping through hoops to
get bit-perfect output.

This and other past experiences lead me to believe that the DTS signal,
crammed as it is with data and, I'm guessing, little error-correction,
is ridiculously fragile.  This was in fact one big reason I bought a
Squeezebox in the first place--I wanted to use robust CD extraction
software to get clean reads of some of my iffy DTS discs and play them
back using something theoretically less prone to spurious errors.  So
far, my experience has been fantastic.  In fact, it was the Squeezebox
playing DTS files that alerted me to problems with my CD drive, as I
whined about a while back in a different thread.

I guess I'm just taking a very long road here to thanking you for
confirming my assumption that if the Squeezebox is successfully passing
a clean DTS signal, it's not doing *anything* to the sound.

--
atrocity