And just what was the exact nature of the "artificially introduced
jitter"? Very important to know. Not just magnitude, but spectral
distribution and degree (if any) of data-correlation. Hard to know if
it should have made a significant difference without any of that data.

Sure, if you hear a significant difference between the SPDIF source and
the source through an outboard DAC, there could very well be other
factors at work.

In fact, there probably are. But you then take steps to reduce the
recovered clock jitter, and see what happens.

Yes, I know, the average person can not do that. Those of us in
industry can. And we have done so, specifically because we heard these
differences. We all had to address them (or fail in the market place),
and that is how we came to understand how jitter affected things.
Again, no one that I know would have gone to any great length to
investigate and address the issue if it was a moot point.

There are lots of other bogus stories one could invent, all probably
equally plausible, to come up with hype to flog their wares.

Pat

--
ar-t

http://www.analogresearch-technology.net