dear all,

this is my final answer to squeeze max audio performance out of a sb3
and finishes (at least for me) my former thread: residual noise on sb
classic.
thanks again to everybody contributing!

what is it all about?
others and myself found that the intrinsic performance of the audio
section of a sb3 is better, driving it with waf or flac streams, than
relying on the build-in mp3 decoder (according to my personal audio
experience, slim did a nice job on the audio design of sb3!)

my problem was that i did not want to convert my mp3 material into flac
or other uncompressed format since i am running the sc and the "nas"
from a laptop (an acoustically very quiet lenovo r-series 1.8ghz!)
in addition, i personally believe in the quality of mp3 (vbr; quality
<=3 encoded)!

so the sc had to be enabled to convert mp3 material on the sc, then
sending it to the sb. personally i found only little worked-out
material available, how to enhance the sc to perform mp3, especially
setting the params of the decoders, that´s why i am documenting the
issue here...

so i started with some break through ideas from sikahr and build on it,
adding some suitable lines of code to the convert.conf file enabling the
sc to decode mp3 with lame or madplay.
therefore you find the add-on portion to the convert.conf below, which
i copied into the original file. this yields some more buttons in the
sc´s settings/extended/filetype folder(or so, i use a german gui).
now you may select mp3 to flac or wav conversion in addition to the mp3
pass-through option from before.
by setting and erasing the relevant #-signs you may select between
madplay and lame decoders and stream the signal either with wav od flac
to the box.
in this case i selected the lame-decoder because it seems to be more
tolerant against playing certain test-tone files i used. also the
wav-streaming produces a small click at the beginning of each play, so
i selected the flac-stremaing method.

whether necessary or not i renamed the lame.exe into lame_s.exe to
disguinsh between the sb and sc lame decoder functions. both files,
also the madplay.exe, go into the squeezecenter\server\bin\mswin...
folder and are recognised automatically. you´ll find them for free
download in the web.

in contradiction to sikahr´s parameter settings, i erased the gain
normalisation function to play everything as loud as originally
intended.

maybe someone is capable to generate also a working custom-convert.conf
file and improve the parameter settings for better audio performance,
anyway i will now listen and judge myself.
have fun experimenting!
br duesentrieb

############add-on start

# mp3 flc * *
#  [madplay] --output=wave:-  --very-quiet --bit-depth=24 $FILE$ |
[flac] -cs --totally-silent --compression-level-0 --endian big --sign
signed --channels 2 --bps 24 --sample-rate 44100 -

mp3 flc * *
[lame_s] --decode --silent --mp3input $FILE$ | [flac] -cs
--totally-silent --compression-level-0 -

# mp3 wav * *
#  [madplay] --output=wave:-  --very-quiet $FILE$

mp3 wav * *
[lame_s] --decode --silent --mp3input $FILE$

# rem: #=deactivated decoder, either one may be activated
# rem: better select flac, wav will click at the beginning.
# rem: better select lame for increased mp3-file compatibility
# rem: renamed lame.exe into lame_s.exe to distinguish between lame in
sc and sb

############add-on stop

--
duesentrieb