Hi there,

I recently bought a Squeezebox Duet (one controller, two receivers) and
am looking for decent and affordable (active) speakers. I am aware that
the price range of 150 - 250 US$ won't qualify for "audiophile" - still
I think it is the most adequate sub-forum, since the others tend to
focus on the respective device they are targeted at.

I've read a lot about the different suggestions within this forum, but
I did not manage to get to a final conclusion. So here are my
requirements:

In need two sets of active speakers (either 2.0 or 2.1) for my bedroom
and the kitchen; both rooms are approx. 4x5 m each and have wooden
floors. The speakers will have to be placed rather near to the rear
wall (or even be attached to it, if possible). I listen to rock, pop,
vocal and instrumental jazz and occasionally to classical music.

My current list includes the "usual suspects":
- Acoustic Energy Aego M
- Audio Engine A2
- cheap nearfield monitors (Alesis, Behringer, Fostex, Genelec, et
al.)

I can try out some of the common studio monitors in a near music store,
but was not able to find a store that sells the Aego Ms or the A2s.
Since hearing distance will be around 3 m, I am unsure if nearfield
monitors will do the job; additionally I do not like the somewhat
"sterile" reproduction of studio monitors that much.

So what would you suggest? Any hints will we appreciated!

Kind regards,

superbonham

--
superbonham