I'm not sure if this is related, but I have noted the following
behaviour quite regularly. When switching off my TP via the remote,
either while it is playing or stopped, I would immediatley get the Date
and Time screensaver which is correct. However, a while after that it
will suddenly display the Now Playing screen (which is my screensaver
for when playing) for a few seconds and then switch back to the Date
and Time screensaver. It looks like switching off the TP does not
cancel the timers for the playing/stopped screensavers, so when these
timers trigger they suddenly show their associated screensaver, and
then something realises that, oops, the TP is actually off, and then
reverts back to the off display.

Maybe there is something similar happening in my TP, but on a much
shorter timescale which then results in the flash I perceive. So, if
these disabling/enabling of these timers could be sorted out that may
sort out the flashing behaviour too...

--
Jaco

XP > Wi-fi > Transporter > SPDIF > Denon AVR-3808 > Linkwitz Labs Orion+