I can give you one perspective on this, based on trying my Transporter
with my Mark Levinson 390S CD player.

(The 390S has digital inputs, so can also be used as a DAC, although
without a word clock connection.  I should also say that I have only
just purchased the Transporter, so this is not based on long periods of
listening.)

My impression is that playing the digital output from the Transporter
via the 390S was somewhat more detailed, compared going direct from the
Transporter's balanced output to my pre-amp.  It was hard, though, the
get the volume levels exactly the same, so I could not claim that this
was, in any sense, an objective comparison.  And WSLam is quite right
to make the point, that different is not necessarily better ....

One other point: this comparison was only made with 44.1kHz / 16 bit
recordings.  It seems that the 390S only accepts CD-level resolution on
its digital inputs (although it does then upsample).  I must say that
88.2kHz / 24 bit FLAC files played direct through the Transporter sound
fantastic!

In any event, although some difference (improvement?) may be possible
by connecting via an external DAC, I am inclined to say that it is
probably not worth it.  Whether with 44.1 / 16 or higher resolutions,
the Transporter on its own sounds great!  No need to experiment, in my
opinion ....

--
Vereina