ar-t;398715 Wrote:
> Phil:
>
> I hope that you don't think that I am trying to discourage you. As I
> said, this test can be an interesting test. But we have talked about
> this, and many of us feel until we get 24-bit resolution, it is not a
> great deal of help. Even if it does, we still get back to the same ol'
> problem we have always faced:
>
> How does phenomena X relate to how things are perceived?

The benefit of this test is that you can listen to the difference, with
your own ears.  If the difference by itself is not audible at all, I'm
perfectly happy concluding that it's not audible when masked by a much,
much louder musical signal.  For that not to be true would require
hearing to be extraordinarily non-linear, in a way that there is no
hint of at all in any psychoacoustic or hearing research I've ever
heard of.

> Your testing can show that cables, etc. can sound the same on your DAC.
> But you have not shown that your DAC does this without adding any
> colouration of its own. It would be interesting grist to compare what
> comes out of your DAC to what goes into it. Admittedly, that could be
> tricky to discern. If one where to use a CDP that had a SPDIF output,
> there is no guaranty that the audio it produces will be close to the
> audio that you DAC produces. But, there is a chance that you could pick
> up on some of the effects of the ASRC.

If you want to compare different DACs, it's perfectly possible to do
using this method. Just record their outputs and difference them.  The
results would be interesting, and I think Phil could do that easily -
e.g. he could compare the SB3 DAC to his main DAC.  I'm pretty sure
that will detect at least the display noise which seems to be present
in the SB3 analogue output.  Whether it finds any signal related
component would be interesting to see.

--
opaqueice