Calum Mackay wrote:
> I was asking whether it's theoretically possible to hear noise at that
> low level. Of course, it depends on the reference level, but even so...
> seems like a reasonable question.

Sound does not have an absolute level. Its defined as a ratio of
signals/sound/power.

Humans can hear roughly 100 dB of difference, best case. More
realistically, 70dB is about it.

If you are listening to something at 0 dB and something is added -140 dB
below it, there is zero chance a human can tell if its there or not.

For reference, +140 dB A scale is military jet takeoff, space shuttle
takeoff, etc. It causes deafness in very short exposure.

A quiet living room is maybe 30 to 40 dB A scale. Add 100 dB of music to
it and your ears bleed.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/