SuperQ;409351 Wrote:
> Sorry, I was not thinking your post was a rant.. it's just the general
> feel that I got from a number of posts on the thread you linked, and
> the kind of posts I see on the slimdevices audiophile forum.
> Generalization on the fact that people who are in the middle don't feel
> the need to talk about it.
>
> Yes, there are some Luddites out there that just don't "get it", or
> choose to ignore it.  I tried to setup a SB3 for my mom to listen to to
> her music, but my dad is an Audio Luddite who "likes to flip through his
> CDs".  He unplugs the SB3 and sticks it in a shoe box and unplugs the
> low power PC I setup for SqueezeCenter.  Oh well, you just won't be
> able to change some people's minds.  I just give up and move on with
> things.  Spend my energy helping people who are willing to accept it.

I can see your point, especially in the case of your father, but the OP
specifically asked about computer based audio and then proceeds to bend
over backwards to convince himself that CD players are truly better.
The really sad part is that very few of them understand that the
negatives mentioned have nothing to do with the quality of the audio
but rather with issues that pertain to computers in general. Issues
that effect all computer users and so improvements are always taking
place. As far as the sound quality goes, as I understand things based
on all the reviews I have read, one of the best, if not the best, DAC
on the market is the Linn Klimax, a networked based unit.

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2