GuyDebord;410979 Wrote:

> Listening to music involves all the senses, sight, touch, smell... you
> guys just dont get it... continue convincing yourselves of perfectly
> reproduced SOUND!

You're erecting a straw-objectivist and then beating him over the head.
The fact is that it seems to be -subjectivists- that have the most
trouble relaxing and enjoying music.  Objectivists have, if they
choose, a perfectly well-defined set of criteria for choosing and
comparing components.  Moreover they understand that all that really
matters are speakers and music - most of the rest is irrelevant.
Subjectivists, on the other hand, have to fret over cables, power
cords, magic pebbles...  the result is inferior sound, an empty wallet
and very little time spent actually enjoying music.

I haven't changed anything in my system in quite a while, and (unless
there's a practical reason to do so) I don't see why I would want to.
I'm very satisfied with the sound, and if I wanted to improve it I
would focus on things that actually make a difference - like
rearranging the furniture or moving the speakers - rather than $1,000
wires.

cliveb;410994 Wrote:

> CatBus made the same comment: that Objectivists are not making such an
> accusation. I've therefore clearly misinterpreted the things I've seen
> written on these and other forums for many years now. Countless times
> I've seen phrases like "you're deluding yourself" and "you're imagining
> it". Reading between the lines, these phrases seem to be implying that
> this delusion/imagination implies some level of gullibility.

-Everyone- hears things that aren't really there - that's human nature.
The gullibility comes from believing that your subjective impressions
correspond to any kind of real change in the sound.  There's a big
difference between that and what you said.

--
opaqueice