Hi-

Implemented a pace car with my Duet about 2 months ago. In spite of
what several of you think, there is a noticeable improvement in the
sound from my system.

The Pace Car uses a high quality clock together with a mod to the Duet.
The Duet clock then becomes a slave clock to the Pace Car, which is the
master clock. This reduces jitter, even when using SPDIF.

How does it improve the sound? Generally, I'd say the sound has a less
"digital" sound, and a more musical sound. More detail is heard, and the
"soundstage" seems deeper and wider.

I listen to a lot of 60's and 70's music that's been digitized. I'll
briefly describe the improvement with 2 albums:

1) The Byrds, album "Mr. Tambourine Man". I found this CD basically
unlistenable on my system (both as a CD and with the Duet), as the sound
had a "metallic" edge in those jangling guitars that hurt my head after
a few minutes of listening.

In fact the only way I managed to listen to the album was to use
DiamondCut 7 audio forensics software and alter the tracks by adding a
1960's "tube" sound to them. This took much of the "edge" off the sound
of the music.

However with the Pace Car, the metallic edge disappeared. I've now gone
back to listening to the unaltered tracks.

2) George Harrison, "Living in the Material World" album.

I always liked the sound of the LP of this album. The bass guitar and
bass drum have a nice thick thumping sound  Very live and "acoustic"
sounding.(I think there may also be acoustic bass on some tracks.)
However, I found this sound mostly gone on the CD.
The Pace Car returned the "LP sound" elements of the tracks and I find
it much more enjoyable to listen to with the Pace Car.

Just a couple of examples. But the device works.

Thanks

--
firedog