You should hear zero difference with Duet being powered by external
linear PS.  The Duet itself has additional switching PS inside based on
the 9V DC input.

I tried powering the Duet with AA batts. using a batt. holder via the
DC input jack, there is no difference in sound at all.

I've a TacT 2.2xp pre-amp processor, it makes a big improvement in
sound once I changed the SMPS to a Linear PS :)

--
Kuro