krochat;442860 Wrote:
> This statement oversimplifies the situation.
>
> For some actual measurements, see
> http://www.audioholics.com/education/audio-formats-technology/dynamic-comparison-of-lps-vs-cds-part-4/dynamic-comparison-of-lps-vs-cds-part-4-page-2
The audioholics website is full of disinformation, and the page you
quote is a classic example.

Measuring noise spread out over the frequency spectrum and observing
that it is lower than the aggreate total-spectrum noise floor of 16 bit
PCM is comparing apples to oranges. The noise floor of 16 bit PCM
measured in the same way is about -110dB below 10Hz and -120dB at all
higher frequencies (ie. much lower than you'll get off an LP).

To compare like-for-like, you need to measure the aggregated noise of
the LP, which is typically around -50dB, or perhaps -70dB if you filter
out all the low frequency crap that comes off a turntable.

For some other actual measurements, see
http://www.delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm#record_resolution

krochat;442860 Wrote:
> (And no, my tests weren't double blind).
In that case the fact you heard a difference means very little.
Expectation creates self-fulfilling prophesies.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A