If all you are doing is straight vinyl rips with no DSP post-processing,
16/44.1 is perfectly adequate and produces results that are
indistinguishable from the the original vinyl and/or higher-res
captures. I've done over 600 rips. The quality of the vinyl, turntable,
arm, stylus, head amp and ADC are crucial. The resolution/bit-depth
isn't.

In the studio I'd use 24/96 all the time, because I'm going to be doing
some heavyweight DSP and need the "wiggleroom" for the maths. Without
any DSP, 16/44.1 captures all you need.

What you get off even the best vinyl is far removed from what is on the
tape masters unfortunately... that's assuming there are tape masters
:-). Pressed Vinyl just doesn't have the dynamic range, noise floor,
frequency response etc of 30ips half-inch tape.

Doing 24-bit capture of master tapes with their > 96dB dynamic range
makes sense.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB3 (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Outdoors: Boom