Phileas;427847 Wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm using something called USB Soundbox:
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=34128
> which is an external sound card with an optical digital out.
> I'm using Softsqueeze to play internet radio & FLAC files with the
> volume set to 100%.
>
> Does anyone know how (if at all) the digits will be altered by the time
> they get to my external DAC? I.e., is this system likely to be "bit
> transparent"?

I have this USB soundbox too, I can verify that it only supports 48 kHz
sampling rate and 16 bit natively, which means that playing a 44.1 kHz
and any other than 48 kHz stream will be resampled by this device to 48
kHz. So no bitperfect playing for 44.1 kHz music!

I tested it with DTS and AC3 5.1 files 44.1 and 48 kHz files with
AC3filter. But it's a very cheap little USB 1.1 to Optical SPDIF
converter anyway.

--
batka