As a general rule, I think you want to keep all leads (both speaker and
signal) as short as possible.  I have my power amps located close to the
speakers and run balanced connections from pre amp to power amps. Given
the choice of either shorter speaker leads or shorter (balanced) signal
leads, Krell recommended shorter speaker leads.  Many years ago, I had a
brief stint at the BBC. All signal level connections to desks were
balanced.

One small point, 'XLR' is the connector type, not the signal connection
method.  Most balanced systems use shielded twisted pair cable and XLR
connectors, but they dont have to, and just because there are XLR
connectors on something doesn't mean it is balanced.

Regarding Themis' and iPhone's comments, you can buy baluns
(effectively small audio transformers housed in a largish XLR style
plug) to convert from single ended to balanced (or back again), and you
could put one at either end of a long cable run to minimise noise, but
it seems quite a perfomance to do, and wont fix any attenuation problems
you may have.

--
Andy8421