_Hardware_description_
On the front of the Beresford Caiman, there is a on/off button, four
input selecting  buttons, a headphone input and a volume knob which
controls the headphones' and the variable (pre) outputs. On the back
there are four digital inputs (2 RCA S/PDIF, 1 toslink and 1 USB) and
two pairs of analog RCA outputs, one fixed and one variable. The dac
costs 232£ including VAT and shipping (at purchase time, price may vary
slightly later on). USB is Windows7 ready. Cool.
Well, no AES/EBU digital input and no balanced analog outputs are
included. But, taking into account that it offers a headphone class A
amp, an USB input and a variable output, I can't ask for more ! In fact,
I'm very satisfied that S.Beresford chose to include these particular
features instead of the AES/EBU and the balancd outputs. It fits better
my setup.
Ok, let me plug the small dac to the Squeezebox Classic (no mods) plug
the fixed outputs  to the NAD (C-162) preamp, and on for the test. No
burn-in needed, anyway I'm too curious to hear how it sounds, I'm ready
for a quick review !

_Listening_session(s)_
I start with something simple: Keb'Mo's "Just Like You" album. The
Caiman produced a clean and precice sound, not particularly warm, not
cold and uninvolved either. There's enough bass and very controlled
tremble, in fact, it sounds exactly as it should be... a bit too much
"as it should be" even ! But wait a minute:  this doesn't sound like a
200£ dac ! I quickly check my connexions : perhaps I'm still listening
to the Northstar 192 dac ? No ?! That's really amazing ... I was almost
sure that... oh well, nevermind. On for the next record.

This time, I'll make it more difficult: a Live Stereo recording (a SACD
hybrid) of F.Reiner & the Chicago Symphony Orchestra : Mussorgsky's
Pictures at an Exhibition. I've had this record for at least 35 years, I
still have the Vinyl, I know exactly how it should sound. This time,
I'll have a better idea. The recordig starts: Promenade... then Gnomus.
Everything is there, exactly as it should be : the soundstage precision,
the special recording, the instruments' special sound, everything ! I
ended up listening to the whole record, I was really amazed ! This dac
is a lot more than what its price tag pretends to be.

I ended up listening to all my reference recordings, with increasing
pleasure. R.Wyatt's "Rock Bottom", Santana's "Caravanserail", Prince's
"Parade" and "Rainbow Children", King Crimson's "Larks' Tongues in
Aspic", Philippe Léogé Trio (a private live recording in a near-by
concert room), Lyle Lovett's "Pontiac", Porcupine Tree "Fear of a Blank
Planet", EL&P, several good SACD hybrids (Dark side of the Moon, and
many others), Linn recordings... and the list became longer and longer.
I tried every single music type I had (and I own a few), it performed
perfectly well. My listening pleasure was increasing accordingly.

The Beresford Caiman decoded everything with an amazing ease. It never
appeared harsh or too soft. Two friends of mine (hifi afficionados) who
were there part of the time, stated that the Caiman had an “analog”
sound. I believe that this is an over-statement: Caiman is a very honest
dac. It sounds as any very good dac should sound with good recordings :
precice, yet fatigue-free on long sessions. Analog gear has this
particularity, but I believe that good digital gear (with low,
controlled distortion) should be the same. And my friends know I'm very
demanding with dacs, I can't stand certain distortions.

The Caiman dac, never (I mean: not even once!) gave the impression of a
“blurred” soundstage, whatever the recording. It never lost track of any
particular note or instrument's physical position or specificity,
regardless  the number of instruments or their placement. And, finally,
it never presented an artifact that wasn't already in the recording. I
confess that “honest” is the main adjective that comes to mind when I
think of this tiny (and so cheap!) piece of electronics.

_Additionnal_testing_
I had planned of making an AB/X test between the Caiman and the
Northstar 192 dac. I mean, I already did this for other dacs, why not
this one ? I was eager about the result. According to my taste, the
Northstar Desing 192 dac, besides its 10-year-old circuitry, is still
one of the best sounding dacs costing under 2000€. It was a real
challenge, and a honor (for me) to AB/X test a dac with my reference
one. So, on the next day, I plugged both dacs to the preamp, each with
one digital outputof the same SB (a quality glass fiber toslink cable),
carefully aligned both dacs' output (easy, they have the same), then
started A/B testing them to try and catch each dac's “special”
character. Having already carefully listened to them, I knew it would
have been hard : they weere both very good. To my surprise, it was
impossible to find any difference, not even a small one. Permuting the
dacs, never an instrument moved a single millimeter on the soundstage,
horizontally, vertically or in depth. Oh yes, perhaps, sometimes I had
the impression that the Caiman sounded a bit more “open” on certain
mid-low frequencies, a bit as if there was a slight “reverb” of some
kind. But the difference (if any) was so rare, unprecice and fleeting,
that I could never really fix it, however I tried. I also permuted the
coaxial and the optical outputs to both dacs: no way... After two or
three hours of careful listening I gave up. There was nothing to AB/X,
finally : they were way too close. And this is a real performance, if
you consider the quality of the Northstar dac.

I also did the same simultaneous test between the fixed and variable
outputs of the Caiman: there is no quality loss whatsoever. No noise, no
additionnal distortion, nothing. They both sound the same.

At one point, I even thought: “perhaps my gear is not detailed enough
for distinguishing the subtal differences” should I try it with better
amps or speakers ? Then, I realised the Caiman's price, and thought for
myself: “C'mon now, if I need 10000€ gear -or more- to distinguish the
differences between a 250€-dac and 'whatever-else', then, there's no
point. It's ridiculous”.

I did not do any serious listening through my ATH-W1000 headphones, but
I promise I will one day.

I want to make it clear: I listened to many dacs. I never listened to a
dac costing under 1500€ that sounded better than my Northstar, and very
few managed to come very close. The ones that -eventually- managed to
get close to it, according to my taste, they all costed over 1000€.
There were no exceptions. Until now.

The Beresford Caiman decodes music. And what comes out of it's analog
outputs is music, no more, no less. Hat's off to Stanley Beresford for
producing such an affordable pleasure.

Pros:
-Astonishing quality for the price
-Variable output with volume knob (you can't blow up your speakers when
used directly with a power amp)
-Class A headphone amp
-USB input
Cons:
-When SB is powered on, it takes one second before the signal is locked
into the dac. Subsequent album/song changes don't have this delay.
-It is not given for free
-You will have to hide it (and never mention it or its price) if your
gear costs more than 2000€ (which is my case)
-It doesn't prepare my morning coffee

Other components: NAD C-272 power amp, Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus
speakers, good cables.

--
Themis

SB3 - North Star dac 192 - Denon 3808 - Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus