Remember this is all just conjecture, actually being able to measure
this stuff is tough. One possibility is that as code gets "tighter", the
loops are smaller etc, more time is spent in code that stays in the
processor cache, thus there are fewer accesses to the main RAM. With
fewer accesses there will be less noise on the power and ground traces
on the board. This can wind up producing lower jitter on the clock and
data feeding the DAC chip and lower noise getting injected into the
audio path.

Its possible it can also cause less noise on the PS and GND traces from
the processor itself, but it could also make it worse!

Finding precise mechanisms for this sort of thing is very difficult to
do, especially because there is no definitive mechanism or measurement
for what causes the type of audible change I'm hearing. If we don't know
what difference in the audio signal produces the difference in perceived
sound, its really tough to figure how changes in softwar could produce
those changes!

So for now its all just guesswork and loose correlations.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson